Bonnie

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) - Melissa de la Cruz ‘Witches of East End’ is the first in a new series by Melissa de la Cruz. Being a huge fan of her young adult Blue Bloods series I was immediately intrigued at the idea of her branching off into adult fiction. Unfortunately I was super disappointed.This book follows the story of the three Beauchamp women who live in north Hampton; Joanna and her two daughters Freya and Ingrid. All three women reside in North Hampton living relatively normal lives, even though they are actually powerful immortal witches who have been forbidden from practicing magic. Slowly at first, the three women begin practicing magic again hoping that they can successfully stay off the radar and won’t be punished. Ingrid is the first to discover individuals who are complaining of anything from infertility to a block in creativity have a gray darkness in their spirits, and it’s becoming more and more common.I had a hard time with how the author just simply stated things and failed to explain. I also had a hard time liking the characters. Joanna helps care for this four year old child, Tyler, and the relationship between the two just comes off as not right. It explains how Joanna had lost her son long ago and that taking care of Tyler is like having her son back… I just kept wondering where his mother was and what she felt about that. Ingrid is a librarian and boring beyond all reason, but I did like how she was so willing to help people in need. Shoot, if I got to work with books all day I’d be the happiest person alive. Lol Possible spoiler… And then there’s Freya… oh where do I begin. So Freya is engaged to marry Bran after a month of knowing each other. Bran and Freya throw an engagement party. Freya is constantly professing her love for Bran and how they were meant to be together. Freya sleeps with Bran’s brother Killian (Killian? Who the hell names their kid Killian?) at their engagement party. Freya continues to profess love for Bran while continuing to think of Killian while having sex with Bran. The whole situation just lacked class in so many ways. Of course there was this big revelation towards the end that made it all okay, but I still didn’t care for it.And of course the Epilogue offered up a *big* cliffhanger but by the time it came around I found myself not caring in the slightest. I felt like I was dragging myself through the last half of the book… the author kept throwing in random facts and random storylines of past events and I was just bored. I won’t be continuing this series.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark