Bonnie

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1)

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between (Rhiannon's Law) - J.A. Saare 4.5 starsThis book managed to hook me from the start; I loved it instantly. I think it was something about the characters, the writing style, the interesting storyline, the hilarious lines, or maybe a combination of everything. Actually, what I really think it was, was the main character Rhiannon. She seemed real to me… she wasn’t some whiny little girl, she was a bad-ass and could handle her own business, but she did get scared as a normal person should in similar situations.The bad…I sometimes thought that the story lacked in describing things; things just simply were, and sometimes those things didn’t make sense. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve never heard of a necromancer that was able to ‘share’ their powers through physical contact with another person? And why did she have to touch the gross mangled bodies in order to communicate with them? But then again, the author could simply be writing a new twist to the concept, and that’s fine. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I still refuse to believe that vampires could EVER be sparkly. I thought that the explanation given for how vampires were created was a little off. Plus the whole Sienna making deals with demons… ehh. I don’t know but it didn’t seem to fit well with the rest of the story for me.Disco. Oh Disco. Loved the character, but his name drove me nuts. For at least the first half of the book I would cringe everytime I read it, but slowly but surely I just got used to it. I mean I guess it was meant to be a nickname, but everybody called him Disco. I mean really, what was so wrong with Gabriel? That’s a perfectly decent name. The good…The story behind Rhiannon and the reason for why she is how she is was crazy, but it really explained a lot. I’ve read stories before where a character is traumatized because of a past event or whatever and when the big reveal finally happens it usually causes eye rolls and a few ‘Oh get over yourself.’ But she definitely went through some fucked up shit, and it really helps to explain her actions.I was really worried going in to reading this that the ending was going to have me screaming with frustration because I can’t handle cliff-hangers… at all. But WOW! What an ending. I was totally not expecting anything like that!! It was a cliff-hanger for sure, but now I’m really excited for The Renfield Syndrome.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark