Bonnie

The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1)

The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) - Amanda Stevens Never acknowledge the deadNever stray far from hallowed ground Never associate with those who are haunted Never, ever tempt fate My father's rules. I've never broken them...until now.The StorylineAmelia Gray is a cemetery restorer who is also able to see ghosts and has lived her life following the rules her father gave her which have kept her safe from the ghosts for years. After a body is discovered at the cemetery she is currently restoring she becomes involved in the case and the detective in charge, Devlin, whether she likes it or not. Amelia wishes to put as much distance as possible between her and Devlin because of the ghosts that haunt him which he is unaware of… living her life by the rules that her father gave her, Amelia knows that being involved with Devlin would be against all those rules yet she can’t shake the unwavering attraction that she seems to have for the man.After reading ’The Abandoned’, the prequel to The Restorer, I was definitely left intrigued and interested in continuing the series. I ended up enjoying the prequel a bit more than the full length novel though and I’m not sure if I’ll be continuing the series.My ThoughtsI love ghost stories, and this one was positively eerie, but the ghost story almost took a backseat to the murder mystery and the building romance between Amelia and Devlin. The author did a great job in keeping the mystery under wraps and keeping you guessing to the very end but I think the story overall was a tad bit flat and didn’t pan out as much as I would have liked it to. I think maybe because it was only the first in a series could excuse some of the lack of explanation, but I would have liked a bit more expansion on Amelia and her overall character development. She wasn’t immediately likeable and I never really connected with her and what she was experiencing. I would have also loved to hear more about how she came to be able to see ghosts, more about her father, and more about her in general. By the end I felt like we had just gotten a broad overview and I definitely need to have a connection with the main character to be satisfied at the end.The RomanceSo nothing really happened between Amelia and Devlin… which is fine, I mean the man was still dealing with the death of his wife and child so that’s understandable. But the way it was written? It was like a build-up to the point where you were expecting something big to happen between the two and I don’t feel it ever really peaked or came to be. I’m sure that’ll be expanded on in future books, just not sure if I’ll be there to experience it. OverallI liked it, but I wasn’t satisfied. I understand this is the first of a series but I still appreciate it when an author does her/his best to make a novel in a series as stand-alone as possible. Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark