Bonnie

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1)

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) - Nicole Peeler You would think I’d learn my lesson by this point in my life… a lesson engraved in me since childhood: never judge a book by its cover. This is definitely a prime example of that, for sure. I mean taking a good look at this you may note that it’s a cartoon picture (warning automatically goes off in my head), there’s a strange dog with a giraffe like-neck in the background (seriously, that dog has one seriously long neck), and this strange looking girl that looks like she jumped out of my computer from one of those Yahoo! avatars. This may be one odd book cover (all of them in this series are, actually) but it certainly does nothing to justify the story within.I really enjoyed this book and am glad to say I have found a new series to be keeping my eyes out for. It’s a refreshing take on the usual array of supernatural beasties… you’ve got your normal vampires and shape shifters but then some kelpies and selkies are thrown into the mix including some gnomes (with powers!) and even a rock spirit (still trying to work that one out in my head though). Jane True’s supernatural-ness isn’t automatically known (by her either), so I won’t ruin it for those who have yet to read this book. I thought it was an interesting take, learning about who she is and what she’s capable of right along with her. Jane’s continuous inner commentary was absolutely hysterical. I don’t typically care for characters that make fun of themselves time after time; however, this was done in such a light, funny manner that I couldn’t help but laugh right along with her. And the continuous internal monologue about her libido? Priceless.The Love Interest So we’re obviously talking about Ryu here… even though I didn’t particularly LOVE him personally. I’ve never been a big fan of leading men that know without a doubt that they’re hot shit; that just rubs me the wrong way. You can know you’re hot but not act like a total douche about it. Personally, I’m liking Anyan and I really hope to see more of him. I loved how the author wrote it though; not your typical love triangle. She kept Anyan in the mix without making the whole thing overly obnoxious, and on top of that he was respectful of her and Ryu’s relationship.I’m jumping right into book 2! :DInterested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark