Bonnie

The Night Eternal (Strain Trilogy #3)

The Night Eternal - Chuck Hogan, Guillermo del Toro Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!Night Eternal: the final installation in the Strain Trilogy. As the title may tell you, you’re in for a very dark and desolate journey. I will keep this short and sweet as much of this novel needs to be experienced firsthand, instead of through a review.The StorylineAs the story opens, Dr. Ephraim (Eph) Goodweather is still reeling from the loss of his son, Zachary. Due to the vampire nature, his mother Kelly came back for him after she had already been turned.”The insidious epidemiology of the virus spread in a vampiric perversion of human love.”Norah and Fet are slowly developing a relationship between each other as Eph has been continually absent from Norah’s life. The world they live in now is an extremely bleak one. The vampires control everything and you don’t get fed unless you work for them or reside in a blood farm. ”The farms were the only entirely different thing in this new world. That and the fact that there was no more educational system. No more schooling, no more reading, no more thinking.”The blood farms were exactly as they sound: humans were rounded up as they were in concentration camps and they are drained of blood. Only the young and healthy were kept; the older humans simply weren’t kept around.’The darkly quiet exterior of the camp spoke to an oppressive efficiency that was almost as shocking.’The VampiresI had been anxiously awaiting how the authors decided to handle the creation aspect. I’ll keep this as a spoiler as some readers may be pleasantly surprised and I would hate to ruin this for them. The idea that vampires were originally archangels has been done before; however, I do think it was written quite well and I was intrigued. I’ve been racking my brain and the only instance of this happening before that I recall was Melissa de la Cruz’s Blue Blood’s series, so that’s not the best of comparisons. Anyways, I was intrigued by the alteration of the story of Lot and of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and that one of the archangels, Ozryel, was actually the cause for how vampirism began.The WritingI had complained early on in the trilogy that the books read like a screenplay and that they would do fabulous as a movie, but left a little to be desired as a novel. The writing in the third, despite the bleakness, was completely enthralling and was worth suffering through the darkness. And dark it was; there was not one single of iota of happiness until maybe the very end and even that can is up for debate. Final ThoughtsI’m quite pleased at how the trilogy was wrapped up. Ending a series well always seems like such a struggle in trying to wrap up all the storylines and loose ends but I think the authors pulled it off sufficiently. I’m not sure that it’s exactly what I had anticipated, not sure what I would have changed if I could, but you're still left with a feeling of completion. All in all this is one of the best vampire series I have read; definitely one of my favorites.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark