Bonnie

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) - Kevin Hearne Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!Atticus is a 21 centuries old red-headed Irishmen but he only looks 21 years old living in Tempe, Arizona. He's the last of the Druids and has been in hiding to keep Aenghus Óg, a Celtic god, from finding him. Unfortunately he's been discovered and he's coming for him... but this time he decides not to run. He's sick of hiding, sick of running, and he's ready to fight.It's always nice to find a new Urban Fantasy series that is a refreshing change from your typical vampires and werewolves. Don't get me wrong, I love those books too but it's nice to mix it up a bit or storylines end up blending together for me. On top of the refreshing change, this story was surprisingly free of all things I abhor about your typical fiction these days: love triangles and cliffhangers. I felt that this was an extremely well written story full of snarky lines that I love so much. The relationship between Atticus and Oberon (his wolfhound) was borderline adorable. They were more on a friend level than owner/pet; considering that they were able to speak to each other with their minds probably had something to do with it. I also enjoyed how the gods and goddesses speech was entirely different than mere mortals and how formal and full of thought they seemed to give each line.“He came out of a building called ‘Crussh,’ holding one of these potions. Are you familiar with the building, Druid?” “I believe that is a smoothie bar in England.” “Quite right. So after I killed him and stowed his body next to the doe, I sampled his smoothie concoction in the parking lot and found it to be quite delicious.” See, sentences like that are why I nurture a healthy fear of the Tuatha Dé Danann.The only issue I had was keeping up with the vast amounts of information on Celtic mythology. This wasn't exactly an issue per say, just a personal problem I had as I'm not familiar with it at all. I felt that the author still did an awesome job at sufficiently explaining all the intricate details for those of us who, like me, are just unfamiliar.I will definitely be reading the other books in this series; I have no doubt they'll be just as enjoyable.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark