Bonnie

Dying to Know You

Dying to Know You - Aidan Chambers Dying to Know You was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Abrams.Expected Publication Date: April 1st 2012Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!2.5 starsThe Storyline"OK. Let me sum up and you can tell me if I've got it right. You've met a girl you admire and would like to keep her as your girlfriend. She fancies you and she wants to know about your private life, your intimate self, because she believes that real friends - let's say, lovers - tell each other about their secret selves. And she insists on you writing this. But you don't like talking about yourself, and writing would be torture because of your dyslexia. So you've come to me, who you know nothing about except that I write books Fiorella likes. And you want me to help you by writing for you what she wants you to write for her in proper English. Is that it?""That's about it, yes."ThoughtsAlright, I admit it. It was really the cover that made me want to read this book. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a cute goldfish apparently.This is a very simple story that only somewhat managed to draw me in. I prefer that my contemporary novels have an original edge and a storyline that I can't see from a mile away and this one was pretty straight forward. It's also tagged as a YA novel but the writing seemed geared towards a more mature crowd.It was a pleasant read that focused primarily on dialog only. I wanted more explanation about the characters; more detail that wasn't always conveyed in the dialog. I also didn't understand the immediate blooming relationship that occurred between Karl and the writer. I can understand his desire to help Karl and set up a couple of interview sessions so that he can find out more about him personally, but shortly after meeting and they're already taking a fishing trip together? Just seemed a tad unrealistic to me, but maybe I'm just not friendly enough. haha All in all, I liked it, it was well written, but it fell short of missing the mark.Favorite Line"Sometimes the course of our lives depends on what we do or don't do in a few seconds, a heartbeat, when we either seize the opportunity, or just miss it. Miss the moment and you never get the chance again."

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark