Bonnie

The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker Expected Publication Date: June 26th 2012The Age of Miracles was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Random House Publishing Group.Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!"We have no way of knowing if this trend will continue. But we suspect it will continue."Our days had grown by fifty-six minutes in the night.I had some difficulty getting into this story at first and I set it aside a number of times. Once I fell into the pattern of life right along with Julia I found myself enthralled and I couldn’t put it down. It took me 5 days to read the first 25% and 6 hours to read the final 75%.This is essentially a written account told from the POV of an eleven year old girl, Julia, of when the Earth’s rotation began to slow. The slow build-up in the beginning was interesting I thought because it wasn't truly suspenseful since it was told from the POV of someone so young, someone who really lacked the ability to comprehend what was happening.'I could tell he was hoping not to scare us, but that was the thing: We kids were not as afraid as we should have been. We were too young to be scared, too immersed in our own small worlds, too convinced of our own permanence.'The commentary that alluded to a future that had yet to happen was eerie yet made you desperate to find out what happened to these people as a result of the phenomenon. Through Julia's eyes we watch her and the people in her life grow and adapt to the changing times. Slowly but surely more issues start occurring and life on Earth became anything but simple. It’s hard to imagine a normal day lasting any longer than 24 hours but after that first night the day extended beyond that: 24 hours and 56 minutes. That in and of itself was shocking but as each day passes more and more time is added on to the ‘normal day’. The innocence of Julia definitely tones down the seriousness of the situation but it’s still a scary and potentially realistic reality. This is one any dystopian fan shouldn’t miss.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark