Bonnie

The Shortest Way Home: A Novel

The Shortest Way Home: A Novel - Juliette Fay A review copy of The Shortest Way Home was kindly provided to me by FSB Associates for Penguin Books.Expected publication: October 30th 2012 by Penguin BooksVisit my blog for a chance to win a copy of this book!'From the time he was fifteen Sean had known he would head out and do as much good as he could in the time that was left, while he waited for his mother's diagnosis to become his own.'Sean has known since an early age that he had a 50% chance he would develop the same disease that took his mother: Huntington's disease. Not wanting to waste the life he had left he devoted his life to being selfless and helping others as a nurse in various foreign lands. Deciding that he needs a break because he's getting burnt out from working so hard, he finally realizes that he's old enough that he may have actually dodged a bullet and he doesn't in fact have Huntington's disease. He beat the odds. But this comes with the realization that he molded his life around the fact that he may very well not have many years to live and he begins to wonder just how different his life could have been if he had made different choices, if he had actually gotten tested and known for sure if he had the disease or not.Sean returns home to visit his Aunt Vivian, sister Deidre, and his late brother Hugh's son Kevin. He's shocked to find that his Aunt Vivvy appears to have alzheimer's or early signs of dementia, Deidre is completely absorbed in making it big as an actor and is never home, and that eleven year old Kevin appears to be raising himself. Kevin is an extremely self-sufficient child and isn't neglected; however, he finds his behavior to be strange until a friend mentions he exhibits signs of having a sensory processing disorder. Reluctant to alter his roaming lifestyle despite the obvious need for his presence to be closer to home, Sean still fully intends on leaving again once he's been able to get everything straightened out. There was a lot of detail given regarding Huntington's disease and sensory processing disorders. Both diseases/disorders I knew very little about to begin with but it was extremely interesting to learn more about. It wasn't overdone and didn't venture off into medical jargon that didn't make much sense, it was well explained and quite informative.This is a hard book to put a label on. There were a few religious angles but they weren't so abundant that I would label it a 'Christian Fiction' because there were also a couple sex scenes. The bits of romance that were thrown in weren't overdone and was nicely intertwined with the story but not so much I would label it a 'Romance' either. Definitely one for Adult Contemporary fans with a 'deeper' message. I found all of the characters to be quite charming which was a real treat. Once I passed the halfway point I was so absorbed into the story I couldn't put it down. I suppose it could be said it was a predictable ending but I still raced to finish. Overall this was a surprisingly funny and lighthearted read despite the serious subject matter, I found myself laughing often.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark