Bonnie

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) - Darynda Jones 4.5 starsConsidering I have a ton of ARCs I should really be catching up on, and considering how much I love Charley, I really should have known better than to tell myself, "Just one chapter!" But it didn't even take a chapter, I was hooked by the opening paragraph.'I sat watching the Buy From Home Channel with my dead aunt Lillian and wondered what my life would've been like had I not just eaten an entire carton of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy with a mocha latter chaser. Probably about the same but it was something to think about.'Oh, Charley. I missed you.Charley was funny and full of snark (as usual) but after the incident from the last book she has a new sense of reality. She's still fragile and recovering mentally and hasn't even left the house in two months when the book begins. It takes a lot of work from everyone close to her (and a few margaritas) to get her close to normal, or as normal as Charley has ever been. 'Surely my macking on some guy in an insane asylum wouldn't hurt him. He'd been living with his stalker, for heaven's sake.'Her love life is full of drama as usual and Donovan makes a (small) appearance to complete the love triangle going on. Strangely, this is one love triangle that doesn't cause a negative reaction from me. I'm quite fond of both boys. :) But, it was just a small appearance and Reyes is front and center in her life (as it should be.) The two butt heads for a short time until Charley can forgive him for his actions from book 3. He had an attitude problem for the vast majority of the book but he made amends for that. And then some. Charley's sister Gemma plays a larger role this time around and I loved what she brought to the story. Charley and Gemma have finally made amends and for the first time in their life they're actually acting like sisters. One of their funniest moments was when everyone was concerned that Charley wasn't sleeping so Gemma and Cookie resort to drinking margaritas (Cookie-a-ritas). The morning after conversation between Gemma and Charley:"Have you seen my pants?""Speaking of which, how did you get home without them?""I borrowed a pair of your sweats. I ran into a convenience store with them on. I talked to neighbors out in their yard when I pulled up. And only after I got inside did I realize they had 'Exit Only' written across the back.""You stole my favorite sweats?""I wanted to die."I think I just died of laughter.Charley finally gets some answers in this installment! What she's capable of, why she's here on Earth, and even why Reyes calls her Dutch which has bugging me FOREVER. I won't ruin it for you but it was quite enlightening. Really opens up future storylines and how it's going to go. As usual, this is one series I'm constantly pining for and cannot get enough of. Start the countdown for book 5 "Fifth Grave Past the Light" due out July 9th, 2013. Only 9 months. *sigh*__________________________________________________________Tell me that cover is not badass. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark