Bonnie

Here I Go Again

Here I Go Again - Jen Lancaster My rating: 4 of 5 starsA copy of Here I Go Again was provided to me by NAL/Edelweiss for review purposes.Lissy Ryder is that kind of girl in school that is super popular and you can't help but love/hate her. I know we all went to school with at least one Lissy-type. Her 20-year high school reunion is coming up and shortly before, everything about her life seems to falling apart at the seams. She's kicked out of her swanky gym for not paying the fees, she gets fired from her job and her husband just asked her for a divorce. Choosing not to wallow and instead pick herself up and go to her reunion she discovers that the people from high school don't love her as much as they used. Actually? They pretty much hate everything about her. But what can she do? It's not like she can change the past or anything... right?I can't help but love Jen Lancaster. I've followed her on Twitter and on her blog for years, I've read all of her memoirs, and she's one seriously hilarious lady. But in 'Here I Go Again' I felt that her sense of humor really shined through in a whole new refreshing kind of way.I loved pretty much everything about the book. 80's references were strewn throughout (mainly regarding the big hair bands) and being a personal lover of the 80's (and big hair bands) this was incredibly fun. I loved the cast of characters that were so completely hilarious, although Deva and her quirkiness was my favorite. But what made this most enjoyable was the fact that Lissy's 'change' into a better person after realizing how wrong she was in the past was truly genuine. The time travel bit was goofy but completely intentional. Did it make a whole lot of sense? No. Was it supposed to? No. But was it entertaining? Absolutely.Jen managed to write an extremely multi-layered story that was hilarious and incredibly enjoyable. Normally with these stories there's always the picture perfect happy ending, but in 'Here I Go Again', well, as Lissy would say: 'Karma really is a bitch.'

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark