Bonnie

The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson “The first thing I notice is the sky, so full of blue and the kind of brilliant white clouds that make you ecstatic to have eyes. Nothing can go wrong under this sky...” A big thank you to Maja and Lisa for hosting the contest which got me a copy of this book. (The good copy that is diary-esque, with all of Lennie's handwritten notes that she left all over town, and even a blue band to keep all the pages together.) Despite the fact that I've had this book on my TBR list for quite some time, I'm not sure I would have ever picked it up if it wasn't staring me in the face on my bookshelf day after day. I'm not big on YA contemporary literature and even less big on books about death and dying. I love when my books make me happy, when they put a smile on my face, take me away from the monotonous day to day life we all live and ones that fill me with all sorts of book magic. Yes, this book is about loss, it's about death, and it's about grieving, but it's also about overcoming everything and realizing that the experience has transformed you. This one definitely had the book magic.“... if you're someone who knows the worst thing can happen at any time, aren't you also someone who knows the best thing can happen at any time too?” This one makes your heart hurt but somehow manages to make it feel good at the same time. Lennie and her sister Bailey were inseparable until she dies unexpectedly from an arrhythmia. The Sky is Everywhere chronicles the process of her grief and rediscovering who she is without her sister. The process was not simple and it didn't follow any sort of established pattern. Her grief was messy and chaotic and her actions failed to make any sort of logical sense to me at times but they never made logical sense to Lennie either. Losing her sister destroyed her completely but watching her piece herself back together was most inspiring. 'I try to fend off the oceanic sadness, but I can't. It's such a colossal effort not to be haunted by what's lost, but to be enchanted by what was.'The one thing I have been unable to fully grasp is... this is a debut novel? Wow. Jandy Nelson's writing snuck up on me and hit me with lines that astounded. The vividness of which she was able to portray grief was terribly accurate and has left a huge impression on me. She is definitely an author that I will love to read more from. 'Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes part of you, step for step, breath for breath.'

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark