Bonnie

A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal - Jonathan Swift ‘A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland From Being a Burden on Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Publick’ otherwise known as simply 'A Modest Proposal' is anything but modest. 'I shall now therefore humbly propose my own thoughts, which I hope will not be liable to the least objection.I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.'This satire was said to have been written in response to the heartless response to Irish poverty and the policies of the leaders at the time. ‘A Modest Proposal’ goes into extreme detail on how selling infants after the age of one will be beneficial to society which was quite humorous, indeed; however, as a satire it was obviously meant as a mockery and I do believe it hit the mark.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark