Bonnie

The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - 3.5 stars“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”Easily one of the most hyped books of the year, Maggie Stiefvater's first installment in her Raven Cycle series was high on my to-read list. I wasn't left disappointed but as far as first installments go it could have been better.Blue Sargent is a non-seer but has the gift of being able to amplify other seers powers. On the Eve of St. Mark’s Day Blue's mother, a clairvoyant, sits watch over the churchyard all night to watch the ghosts of those that will be passing over in the next year. Blue accompanies her mother even though she's not able to see any of the ghosts. Except she does this year. A boy wearing the uniform from Aglionby Academy named Gansey; a Raven Boy. And the only reason a non-seer would see a spirit is he's either Blue's true love or she's the one that kills him.Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah (otherwise known as The Raven Boys) have their own mystery to add into the mix. Gansey has become obsessed over the years with finding the local ley line and believes that once found he will be able to locate an ancient and mythical sleeping king and that he will grant him a wish. Despite the initial hint at romance, it never actually made an appearance. It was a nice change from the typical though. I was loving the whole Practical Magic feel and loved Blue and her eclectic household. The group of boys aptly named the Raven Boys were quite charming and reminded me a lot of the group of friends in The Secret History (at least before the whole sleeping king granting wishes came in to play). The multiple storylines were intriguing, nicely written and converged well with one another. The only problem is it is a bit slow-going at first so patience may be required for some. Also, fans of Maggie Stiefvater may find that The Raven Boys is missing some of her beautiful prose that she’s so famous for. I would have gladly given this a solid 4 stars; however, I had one HUGE problem. I wouldn’t say that there’s a huge cliffhanger, but more that there isn’t actually any resolution to be seen. No conclusion. No answers. I understand that this is the first in the series but it definitely had the feel of a pilot episode and despite the fact that I will still be waiting with bated breath for the next installment I really wish we would have been given more. Not sure if this is really a spoiler but I’ll cover it up just to be sure. The quote that really makes the book about Gansey being her true love or the person she kills? You don’t find out. I was super bothered that an answer wasn’t even hinted at. Thus, 3.5 stars.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark